Thursday, November 21, 2013

Winter Mountaineering On Carrauntoohil...Start to the season.



Woke on Tuesday morning and was greeted to the most welcome of sights outside my window.
I live right underneath the MacGillycuddy's Reeks mountains and Winter had arrived during the night and blanketed them in a spectacular dusting of white!!!
Yippeeeee...
I legged it the short distance up the road with camera in hand to grab a few early morning shots.
 
 
 
After I snapped the Hags Glen Sunrise pic above, I quickly legged it home, packed the Winter gear, grabbed an ice axe and headed back out to the hills. I headed for a lovely little high mountain valley nestled beneath the Eastern slopes of Binn Chaorach and Screig Mhór called Cummeenagearagh to climb its grade I/II gully.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A most splendid time had climbing this to the col and then onto Ireland's 2nd highest - Binn Chaorach (1010mtrs). Quite a decent covering of snow and the Reeks looking absolutely spectacular so from here I couldn't resist heading across the superb ridge to Corrán Tuathail.
 
 
As expected I had the pristine summit to myself and after devouring a jammy donut I headed off for the descent down the Devils Ladder and out the Glen to home.
Had been iffy about bringing an axe but definitely warranted and so glad I did.
 
 
An utterly fantastic day and a nice decent start to the Winter season.
 
       Happy Days!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment