Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Guided ascent of Corrán Tuathail via Caher 28th April 2012

Congrats and well done to the "N.I Wild" crew from Co.Down....Really enjoyed spending my Birthday with you all in the Magnificent Mountains of Kerry.....A cool enjoyable day with an entertaining bunch of lads....





Forecast for the day was for sunny spells turning to  torrential showers in the afternoon - what we got was cloudy turning into a beautiful sunny afternoon.  Travelling via the Hydro Road our first objective was Caher,Irelands 3rd highest mountain standing at 1001 metres and a fine peak it is too!!! Morale and spirits remained high for this long slog despite always in the back of our mind the forecast for the afternoon of deteriorating weather!!!  Caher in the bag and the cloud beginning to lift (?!?) we headed off across the magnificent Caher/Corrán Tuathail Ridge.  Saying we stopped to take a few photos along here would be an understatement as I have never in all my days in the mountains witnessed a day being documented in both photo and digi-movie as this day!!!  Totally understandable I must add as  when the cloud lifted further the Reeks almost seemed to be showing off...This is a route of sublime wild mountain scenery and one of my personal favorites for sure!!!






FINALLY we arrived on the summit of Corrán Tuathail and the craic was mighty...more photos!!!  You meet all sorts on the top of Corrán Tuathail - in the past I have met stag parties dressed as Elvis, Santa Claus, Leather knee high booted fashionable ladies, wild men in wellies, 4 year old kids and lads with cooler boxes full of beer!!!  Oh and there is of course the resident summit Shrew.
Before we began our retracing our route to Caher 2 of the lads headed off with GPS in hand to find Irelands highest GeoCache-this is something I don't really "get" but they seemed overjoyed to to have "gotten" it!





As we headed back with ever changing views to Caher the cloud began to break and so, we took some photos!!! 
I said my goodbyes to the lads who were heading that evening to the mighty Kate Kearney's Cottage in The Gap of Dunloe for the craic, ceol agus bia !!!




Corrán Tuathail via Caher is a fantastic way to take in Irelands Highest!!!  Every time I'm asked to guide this route I get a little buzz of excitement...just a fantastic place to be!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment